Sunday Freebie: blooming cactus free embroidery pattern
As promised, this is the first ever Sunday Freebie. You can get the PDF version of this free embroidery pattern and many more tropical themed mini hoop designs over at the shop.
The Blooming Cactus Pattern
First, get your tools and materials and print out the template. Click here to get the template for printing.
This design is a beginner pattern and it takes about 1-2 hour from start to finish including the finishing of the hoop as a pendant.
Tools & Materials
• large round: 4,75cm/1.9inch
• medium round: 3,25cm/1.3inch
• small round: 2cm/0.78inch
• thread: 6 stranded embroidery thread in the colorways dark green (500 DMC), light purple (210 DMC), purple (553 DMC)
• fabric: Kona cotton solids by Kaufman in the colorway ‘pistachio’; 10x10cm/4x4inch
• embroidery hoop for embroidering the pattern. If you cut the fabric later, you can use a regular 6-inch hoop.
• embroidery needle
• for finishing: craft glue, a mini hoop of your choice (here is a list of mini hoop shops)
You can find the stitch tutorials below. The stranded embroidery thread can be split up. Use 3 strands for the large version, 2 strands for the medium and 1 strand for the small version if not stated otherwise.
- Begin with the cactus and stitch all outlines with split stitch in dark green.
- Add some accents by making short horizontal stitches over the previously embroidered stitches.
- The flower is done in lazy daisy stitch using the light purple thread.
- For the planter, embroider over all lines with split stitch in purple.
- To fill the planter with the pattern scatter around some rice stitches in purple. If you want to make
a flower pattern like in the template, use the lazy daisy with one strand of
embroidery floss – it’s going to be very tiny!
November 8, 2018
October 9, 2018
September 27, 2018