Sunday Freebie: Ocean Sunset Free Embroidery Pattern
As promised, this is the first ever Sunday Freebie. You can get the PDF version of this free embroidery pattern and many more tropical themed mini hoop designs over at the shop.
The Ocean Sunset Pattern
First, get your tools and materials and print out the template. Click here to get the template for printing.
This design is a beginner pattern and it takes about 1 hour from start to finish including the finishing of the hoop as a pendant.
Tools & Materials
• large round: 4,75cm/1.9inch
• medium round: 3,25cm/1.3inch
• small round: 2cm/0.78inch
• thread: 6 stranded embroidery thread in the
colorway yellow (741 DMC), teal (3812 DMC)
• fabric: Kona cotton solids by Kaufman in the
colorway ‘pool’; 10x10cm/4x4inch
• embroidery hoop for embroidering the pattern.
If you cut the fabric later, you can use a regular
• embroidery needle
• for finishing: craft glue, a mini hoop of your
choice (here is a list of mini hoop shops)
You can find the stitch tutorials below. The stranded embroidery thread can be split up. Use 3 strands for the large
version, 2 strands for the medium and 1 strand for the small version if not stated otherwise.
- Begin with the sun using satin stitch in yellow.
- Then add the sun beams in yellow using running stitch.
- For the last step, use split stitch for the horizon and reflections in teal.
- If you like, add some single stitches of yellow to the reflections to mimic the reflections of the sun.
April 12, 2018
April 7, 2018